Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 20 14:03:40 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 01:49:41PM -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 8/20/13 11:32 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
[...]
> >The idea goes way back. Matthew Wilson and I were thinking about how
> >to do C++ STL-like iterators, which were based on a pointer
> >abstraction. I thought it was natural for D to do it as an array
> >abstraction. There are some posts about it in the n.g. somewhere. The
> >idea languished until Andrei joined us and figured out how it should
> >work, and ranges were born.
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ga46ok$2s77$1@digitalmars.com
[...]

Wow. That must've been an awesome discussion. I can literally feel it
oozing with excitement. :) We should put this link up on the wiki
somewhere, maybe under "landmark historical documents" or something.

If a person can't communicate, the very least he could do is to shut up.
-- Tom Lehrer, on people who bemoan their communication woes with their
loved ones.