Possible solution to template bloat problem?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 20 16:35:02 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:58:16AM +0200, John Colvin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 22:49:40 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> >Happily I'm stupid and completely missed the condescending tone of
> >an evident genius. Instead I'll just be grateful that it pleased
> >one of the D masters to drop some statement down at me at all.
>
> >>Awesome, thank you and keep destroying.
> >
> >"destroying"??? Which part of "not to bash it" and of "D means a lot
> >to me" and of "D is, no doubts, an excellent and modern incarnation
> >of C/C++. As far as I'm concerned D is *the* best C/C++ incarnation
> >ever, hands down." was too complicated to understand for your genius
> >brain?
>
> I knew this would happen at some point:
> Andrei uses "destroy" as a positive term to denote a well-reasoned
> powerful argument/response.
>
> Chill :)

Ahhahaha, so Andrei dropped the "destroy" word without explaining how we
use it around these parts. :)

For the sake of Ramon and all others who are new around here: there is a
tradition on this forum where after you present a (hopefully
well-reasoned) argument or wrote some D code you want to put up for peer
review (e.g. to include in Phobos), you'd ask others to "destroy" your
argument/code as a friendly way of saying "please find all the flaws you
can so I can fix them and make it even better".

I'm not sure how this usage came about, as it predated my time, but my
guess is that in the past, someone would post something they're totally
convinced about, only to have somebody on the forum completely tear it
apart and point out all the glaring flaws that it failed to address.
After a while it became something one expects will happen every time, so
in a friendly, faux-challenge sort of way people would invite others to
"destroy" their arguments/code/etc., and this became a tradition.

In any case, "destroy" as used in these parts is a positive word, not a
hostile challenge. So relax. :)

Doubt is a self-fulfilling prophecy.