Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 20 16:43:03 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 01:33:34AM +0200, John Colvin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 19:41:13 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 08:57:35PM +0200, pjmp wrote:
[...]
> >>Programming like the 70's, yo!  :)
> >[...]
> >
> >LOL... to be honest, my PC "desktop" is more like a glorified
> >terminal shell than anything else, in spite of the fact that I'm
> >running under X11. My window manager is ratpoison, which is
> >completely keyboard-based (hence the name), maximizes all windows by
> >default (no tiling / overlapping), and has no window decorations. I
> >don't even use the mouse except when using the browser or selecting
> >text for cut/paste.  (And if I had my way, I'd write a keyboard-only
> >graphical browser that didn't depend on the mouse. I'd use Elinks
> >instead, except that viewing images in a text terminal is rather a
> >hassle, and there *is* a place for graphics when you need to present
> >non-textual information -- I just don't think it's necessary when I'm
> >dealing mostly with text anyway.)
[...]
> I think you might enjoy https://github.com/conformal/xombrero/
>
> snapshots here: https://opensource.conformal.com/snapshots/xombrero/
> although they're a month or so old and I had to edit the URL to get
> there... They clearly don't want any noobs haha
>
> I just built from source and it works very nicely, very minimalist.

Interesting, I'll have to take a look at this sometime when I have some
free time. Thanks!

In any case, I hope the keyboard interface isn't just something tacked
on, as it's not as simple as it may look to design a keyboard interface
that's efficient on a webpage, where you need to balance between
navigating logical structure to find links, and providing visual
navigation keys (ala Opera <=12). This is one aspect where I find Elinks
lacking -- in a multicolumn layout the keys for navigating links leave a
lot to be desired.

What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.