Possible solution to template bloat problem?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Aug 21 09:50:10 PDT 2013

On 8/20/13 7:29 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 03:46:33AM +0200, Ramon wrote:

>>> I knew this would happen at some point:
>>> Andrei uses "destroy" as a positive term to denote a well-reasoned
>>> powerful argument/response.
>>>
>>> Chill :)
>>
>> Uhum.
>>
>> Well, where I live "to destroy" has a pretty clear and very negative
>> meaning.
>> I took that post (of Mr. Alexandrescu) as very rude and
>> condescending and I do not intend to change my communication habits
>> so as to understand "to destroy" as a positive statement or even a
>> compliment. While I'm certainly not in a position to look down on J.
>> Ichbiah, N. Wirth, and B. Meyer, I have certainly not spent the last
>> 25+ years without understanding a thing or two about my profession,
>> no matter what Mr. Alexandrescu seems to think.
>
> I didn't find Andrei's tone condescending at all. I think you're
> misunderstanding his intent. Disagreement with your ideas is one thing,
> but being rude is completely another thing. I would not stand for
> anyone, even if it's Andrei, being rude to a newcomer, but I don't
> perceive his response as being rude at all, even if he did disagree with
> you.

Probably not worth belaboring the point, but OP's reaction made me feel
guilty enough to go back and re-read http://goo.gl/mJU68I. It's a bummer
that Ramon took issue with it, but I'd be insincere to apologize for
what I see as no wrongdoing. This may be a cultural difference seeing as
OP's rhetoric and literary mannerisms are quite a bit different from the
usual on this forum.

Andrei