Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Wed Aug 21 09:50:35 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 at 16:35:17 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2013-08-21 15:54, Ramon wrote:
>
>> Reading through this forum, however, "performance" and not
>> doing
>> anything that might negatively influence performce is what
>> Mother
>> Mary is to Christians, very very holy.
>
> In many areas D chooses safety or convenience before
> performance, compared with say C/C++. Examples:
>
> * All variables are default initialized
> * Garbage collector
> * All instance methods are virtual by default

You are right and I appreciate that progress (IMO). It does not
exclude, however, a strong, sometimes possibly unbalanced, focus
on performance, nor does it make the many cases vanish where
performance considerations are brought up as major or even
priority factor for or against diverse considerations, ideas or
concepts.

I am *not* against keeping an eye on performance, by no means.
Looking at Moore's law, however, and at the kind of computing
power available nowadays even in smartphones, not to talk about 8
and 12 core PCs, I feel that the importance of performance is way
overestimated (possibly following a formertimes justified
tradition).

We need not look further than on our very desk. Basically all
major OSes as well as all major software is riddled with bugs,
problems, and considerable lack of security. - And - basically
all major OSes and to a large degree software is written in - ? -
languages of the C family. Coincidence?

Although it must be noted in fairness that D would indeed and
very considerably enhance that sad situation. D has - and should
be appreciated for that - made major steps towards reliability
and a world with less software bugs. I can't prove that, I don't
have statistics for that but I'm very confident of D allowing for
more secure and reliable software being written.