Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 10:17:33 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 at 16:50:38 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> I am *not* against keeping an eye on performance, by no means.
> Looking at Moore's law, however, and at the kind of computing
> power available nowadays even in smartphones, not to talk about
> 8 and 12 core PCs, I feel that the importance of performance is
> way overestimated (possibly following a formertimes justified
> tradition).

Moor's law is kaput, finish, niet, we don't know how to use the
extra transistor.

> We need not look further than on our very desk. Basically all
> major OSes as well as all major software is riddled with bugs,
> problems, and considerable lack of security. - And - basically
> all major OSes and to a large degree software is written in - ?
> - languages of the C family. Coincidence?

A vast amount of software is written in javascript, java, C#, PHP
and many "safe" languages, and still are crippled with bugs.

Some codebase are trully scary. Look at gdb's source code or
gtk's.

You want no bugs ? Go for Haskell. But you'll get no convenience
or performance. The good thing if that if it does compile, you
are pretty sure that it does the right thing.