s/type tuple/template pack/g please

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Wed Aug 21 11:21:37 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 at 17:53:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> There's an inordinate amount of confusion around what we
> currently call "type tuple" (embodied in std's TypeTuple). I've
> been furious immediately as I got word that Walter called it
> that way, and it hasn't failed to make everybody else feel the
> same over the years.
>
> So: shall we use "template pack" going forward exclusively
> whenever we refer to that stuff? That way we can unambiguously
> use "tuple" for "value tuples, i.e. like mini-structs that
> group values together".
>
> Destroy. I mean criticize.
>

> Andrei

There are a lot of good names for it: Template Pack, Type
Sequence, Template Argument List, Type List, etc. I think I like
Type Sequence the best but any will do.  All that really matters
is getting Tuple out of the name to clear up the confusion.

http://dlang.org/tuple.html is so confusing to anyone who has
used tuples in other languages.  It doesn't even mention
typecons' Tuples which is what anyone who would click on that
link would be looking for.

It also might be a good time to clear some things up about them
in the spec (and possibly implementation).  Timon's link to
http://wiki.dlang.org/The_D_Programming_Language/Seq shows some
areas where they are inconsistent or confusing.