Download page needs a tidy up

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 20:47:05 PDT 2013

On 22 August 2013 13:37, Tyler Jameson Little <beatgammit at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 22 August 2013 at 03:07:39 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> But there's still no LDC binary there... where is it?
>>

>> This needs to be fixed. You can argue I'm retarded and ignorant, but as an
>> end user, it should take me no more than 5 seconds to find the download
>> button.
>>

> Agreed. Some may not be as persistent as you...

Most, I'd imagine. Especially if they're a new user (the most important
kind!) who don't have a vested interest in D.

 I suggest, on the front page of dlang.org, there should be a MASSIVE
>> button: "DOWNLOAD D COMPILERS", and the download page should be tweaked to
>> be more obviously compiler agnostic.
>>

> I'm not too sure about this. DMD is the reference compiler, so people
> should be using that for learning, then graduate to GDC or LDC if they need
> something faster.

So put it first, but the others should be visible.
The other compilers need to be used. How will people find/report bugs if
they don't use them?

I've also heard many argue that LDC should be the reference compiler. And
I'm inclined to agree.
Either way, they need prominent placement so people know they exist, and
they get tested.