Download page needs a tidy up

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 21:28:04 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 22 August 2013 at 03:33:38 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 22 August 2013 13:18, Brad Anderson <eco at gnuk.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 22 August 2013 at 03:07:39 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>
>>> So I'm trying to find windows binaries for GDC and LDC...
>>>
>>> First place I look is dlang.org/download. Appears to be for
>>> DMD... keep
>>> looking.
>>>
>>> I look at the GDC/LDC wiki pages. No links to binaries
>>> anywhere.
>>> GDC and LDC home pages... no links to binaries.
>>> Github doesn't host binaries anymore...
>>>
>>> Where are they?
>>>
>>> Turns out there are links to the GDC binaries (hosted on
>>> bitbucket) on
>>> dlang.org/download.
>>> ...I didn't previously notice they were there, never scrolled
>>> down far
>>> enough. The impression you get from the top of the page is
>>> that
>>> dlang.orgis just DMD related, and I quickly dismissed it
>>> previously
>>>
>>>  _<
>>>>

>>> But there's still no LDC binary there... where is it?
>>>
>>> This needs to be fixed. You can argue I'm retarded and
>>> ignorant, but as an
>>> end user, it should take me no more than 5 seconds to find
>>> the download
>>> button.
>>>
>>> I suggest, on the front page of dlang.org, there should be a
>>> MASSIVE
>>> button: "DOWNLOAD D COMPILERS", and the download page should
>>> be tweaked to
>>> be more obviously compiler agnostic.
>>>
>>> D1 and DMC consume an unreasonable amount of realestate,
>>> hiding GDC/LDC
>>> (surely basically nobody is looking for those?), perhaps they
>>> should be
>>> reduced to small test links with the other links down the
>>> bottom of the
>>> page?
>>> This will allow room to present GDC and LDC without scrolling.
>>>
>>> And why is there no LDC binary?
>>>

>> I tried to fix some of these problems here[1].  Maybe someone
>> can take
>> what I did and fix it up enough to be used.
>>
>> 1.
>> https://github.com/D-**Programming-Language/dlang.**org/pull/304<https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/304>
>>

> Definitely an improvement!
> Although if I were to be critical, I'd say when scrolling the
> page, I find
> the almost random layout of the bright red buttons scattered
> all over the
> place to be rather overwhelming.
>
> I was also briefly confused by the 32bit/64bit scattered
> everywhere. My
> initial assumption was that it specified the toolchain's target
> architecture :/
> But since it's the compiler's host arch, I'd say that for
> Windows where
> 32bit binaries will run on any version of windows and no 64bit
> binary is
> offered, and OSX which has only ever been 64bit, there's no
> need to write
> it for those platforms. It's just confusing.

Why not sniff the platform? I think Firefox & Dart websites do
this. This can be retrieved with navigator.platform:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/window.navigator.platform

Of course, the others should be easily accessible.