Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Aug 22 02:59:25 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 at 17:48:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> No random access. I didn't know about drop-last though - does
> it work in O(1)?

There is "nth"
<http://clojure.github.io/clojure/clojure.core-api.html#clojure.core/nth>
but the O(n) cited there is rather disturbing.

> More accurately was the point that Clojure's sequence API is
> (to the best of my understanding) only dealing with forward
> access, whereas D distinguishes between one-pass, forward,
> bidirectional, and random, and designs algorithms around these
> notions.

I'll check up with my friend on the forward access side.  What
certainly seems to be true is that the API doesn't make the
useful distinctions/classifications that D does.