s/type tuple/template pack/g please

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Thu Aug 22 03:05:29 PDT 2013

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:53:06 +0100, Andrei Alexandrescu

> There's an inordinate amount of confusion around what we currently call
> "type tuple" (embodied in std's TypeTuple). I've been furious
> immediately as I got word that Walter called it that way, and it hasn't
> failed to make everybody else feel the same over the years.
>
> So: shall we use "template pack" going forward exclusively whenever we
> refer to that stuff? That way we can unambiguously use "tuple" for
> "value tuples, i.e. like mini-structs that group values together".
>
> Destroy. I mean criticize.

After reading the thread I think it might help to try to define the
important characteristics of them, and from that select the key

Using this as a reference to my understanding:
http://wiki.dlang.org/The_D_Programming_Language/Seq

In particular the section:
"Q: What's the deal with "auto-expansion"?"

I think .. "type tuples" are:
- Compile time
- A kind of (list, set, group, or collection) of (parameters/arguments,
initialisers, parent classes)
- Flat i.e. "auto expanded" where used, not nested.
- An alias for the elements it contains
- A <thing> in which the ordering is important

I am leaning toward the fact that they are an "alias" being a key
property, that and the fact that they are a "list" or "set" of things.
"Sequence" may be even better than list as it imples more heavily that the
ordering is important.

So, I am personally leaning toward dennis's suggestion of "Alias Sequence".

But, I do worry a little about overloading the term "alias".  However..
TypeTuple is defined using "alias" so maybe they are the "same thing"
after all.