Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

PauloPinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Aug 22 06:16:58 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 22 August 2013 at 05:22:17 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 at 17:45:29 UTC, Ramon wrote:
>> On another perspective: Consider this question "Would you be
>> willing to have all your software (incl. OS) running 10% or
>> even 20% slower but without bugs, leaks, (unintended)
>> backdoors and the like?"
>>
>> My guess: Upwards of 80% would happily chime "YES!".
>
> Would you accept it if it means a 3x slowdown and no real time
> capabilities (no video games for instance) ?

I would, because my experience with Native Oberon and AOS (Blue
Bottle),
teached me that those real time capabilities are possible in a
desktop
OS written in a GC enabled systems programming language.

As example, BlueBottle has a video player, just the decoder has
some snippets written in Assembly.

http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/WindowManager?action=download&upname=AosScreenshot1.jpg

--
Paulo