Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Aug 22 09:45:17 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:50:49PM +0200, John Colvin wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 August 2013 at 15:42:15 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> >One (OK, not very creative) example that comes to mind is to have
> >less experienced programmers to work in "safe mode" only, which
> >anyway is good enough for pretty everything the average app needs,
> >and to limit "system mode" to seasoned programmers.
>
> If I was managing a D based team, I would definitely make use of
> safe/system for code reviews. Any commit that touches @system code*
> would have to go through an extra stage or something to that effect.

Are you sure about that?

	import std.stdio;
	void main() @safe {
		writeln("abc");
	}

DMD says:

	/tmp/test.d(3): Error: safe function 'D main' cannot call system function 'std.stdio.writeln!(string).writeln'

SafeD is a nice concept, I agree, but we have a ways to go before it's
usable.

LINUX = Lousy Interface for Nefarious Unix Xenophobes.