Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Aug 22 20:45:22 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 05:06:01AM +0200, Ramon wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 August 2013 at 23:59:59 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Or rather, I *will* be happy as can be once I find a suitable
> >replacement for a browser. Browsers are by far the most ridiculously
> >resource-consuming beasts ever, given that all they do is to display
> >some text and graphics and let you click on stuff.

> Pretty much describes my feelings too, although I've made my peace
> with them beasts and like to use xombrero. Although webkit based
> (translate: bloat) it's relatively(!) modest and is keyboard
> controllable.

I'm installing it right now. Let's see if it lives up to its promise.
;-)

If it does, I'm ditching opera 12 (the last tolerable version; the
latest version, opera 15, has lost everything that made opera opera, and
I've no desire to stay with opera) and switching over. I'll keep firefox
handy for when bloated features are required, there should be plenty of
RAM leftover if xombrero isn't as memory-hogging as opera can be. :-P

> I assume you know links2 and w3m, both textmode browsers which
> support tables, frames, and even images. links2 (or was it elinks?)
> even supported javascript for some time.
> You also might like that links by default is non-graphic and needs a
> commandline switch to go graphical.
[...]

I use elinks every now and then... I can't say I'm that impressed with
its interface, to be honest. There are better ways of doing text mode
browser UIs. Plus, most sites look trashy in elinks because they're all
designed with bloated GUIs in mind.

As for JS, nowadays I turn it off by default anyway, and only enable it
when it's actually needed. Makes the web noticeably faster and, in many
cases, more pleasant to use. (*cough*dlang.org*cough*)

Caffeine underflow. Brain dumped.