Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri Aug 23 00:15:20 PDT 2013

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:18:04 +0200
"Ramon" <spam at thanks.no> wrote:

> Sorry, this is a long and big post. But then, so too is my way
> that led me here; long, big, troublesome. And I thought that my
> (probably not everyday) set of needs and experiences might be
> interesting or useful for some others, too.

Thank you very much for this post.

I was considering to use D for quite some time for multi-platform gui
project, but was not satisfied with the state of its GUI bindings (only
gtkd although someone was working on wx bindings, but, afaik, nothing
happened) as well as non-stability of the language itself.

That led me to research and try some other languages, starting with
OCaml, then explored .NET/Mono platform and languages like F# (even
Cobra).

On the other end of the spectrum I've tried some obscure ones like
Nimrod and finally considered Ada as the most robust/safe option with
decent options for GUI (GTK & Qt).

Your post and another thread 'DQuick a GUI Library (prototype)' makes me
optimistic that it would be possible to use D as the 'general
programming language' sutiable for writing GUI apps as well.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is