Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Fri Aug 23 07:48:18 PDT 2013

On Friday, 23 August 2013 at 14:30:06 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 23 August 2013 at 14:14:47 UTC, Ramon wrote:
>>
>> Listen: Your reference is quality, realiability, even elegance
>> (an excellent indicator), maybe performance and yourself
>> knowing you did it well. Don't give Joe and Mary any power
>> they wouldn't know how to use anyway.
>> And btw: Probably Joe and Mary won't know about or even
>> understand your work. But they *will* notice that your stuff
>> works reliably and well.
>
> Yes, of course. But shiney little buttons impress people and
> often the GUI logic is neglected due to a "Click, it works!
> Let's move on to something else" mentality. A lot of apps out
> there don't have a proper MVC architecture (look wxPython or
> Tkinter apps). It's just so easy to be neglegent.

Absolutely, Chris,

I get your point and I do not disagree.

But, to be fair: We *all* are in some way or another guilty of
that sin. Do we, for instance, all really see, value and
appreciate the math behind behind many good things? Or do we,
let's be honest, usually just say "Wow, D has cool dynamic
arrays, that makes my life easier or Yowza, TLS 1.2 offers
considerable security"? Frankly, most and that includes
programmers, do not even make the effort to properly learn and
understand the basics so as to, e.g. user the proper chain mode.

I have an image that helps me. I see my "other" grandpa (actually
a neighbour) having worked with wood, looking at his workpiece,
refining it again a little until finally he looks at it and is
content and everythings just fits nicely.