D-thrift package detects regressions since 2.061, where is the regression suite located?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Aug 23 11:07:35 PDT 2013

On 8/23/2013 10:34 AM, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> By the way, the ability to add costume projects to D autotester is already
> proposed without any response:
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kqm4ta$m7f$1@digitalmars.com

The question comes up repeatedly, and I've answered it repeatedly, the latest on
8/20 in the thread "std.serialization: pre-voting review / discussion". Here's
the message:
---------------------------------
On 8/18/2013 9:33 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
 > Having a system that regularly, automatically runs the test suites of several
 > larger, well-known D projects with the results being readily available to the
 > DMD/druntime/Phobos teams would certainly help. But it's also not ideal, since
 > if a project starts to fail, the exact nature of the issue (regression in DMD or
 > bug in the project, and if the former, a minimal test case) can often be hard to
 > track down for somebody not already familiar with the code base.

That's exactly the problem. If these large projects are incorporated into the
autotester, who is going to isolate/fix problems arising with them?

The test suite is designed to be a collection of already-isolated issues, so
understanding what went wrong shouldn't be too difficult. Note that already it
is noticeably much harder to debug a phobos unit test gone awry than the other
tests. A full blown project that nobody understands would fare far worse.

(And the other problem, of course, is the test suite is designed to be runnable
fairly quickly. Compiling some other large project and running its test suite
can make the autotester much less useful when the turnaround time increases.)

Putting large projects into the autotester has the implication that development
and support of those projects has been ceded to the core dev team, i.e. who is
responsible for it has been badly blurred.