Parallel Rogue-like benchmark

Paulo Pinto pjmp at progtools.org
Sun Aug 25 09:38:17 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 24 August 2013 at 17:01:56 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> I think that there is a lot speaking against sloc.
>
> First it's often (ab?)used for "Ha! My language x is better
> than yours. I can write a web server in 3 lines, you need 30".
> And then slocs say a lot of things about a lot of things. Like:
> Experience (being new or not used to X I'll need more lines in
> X than in "my" lang, say, D), built in vs. library, coding
> style, and others.
>
> In the end "100 sloc in X vs. 180 sloc in Y" quite often means
> close to nothing. Putting it bluntly: If I know enough about
> all the relevant details of the languages+environment to arrive
> at having sloc mean anything useful, I won't need that
> comparison in the first place.

I once worked in a project where QA and PM people would look at
all the metrics one can generate out of Sonar
(http://www.sonarqube.org/) and as side-effect dictate software
design decisions based on them.

The reason being, we the coders, started to write code and unit
tests that would drive the metrics into the numbers given as
target for the project metrics.

If you don't know it, there is an online version to play with here
http://nemo.sonarqube.org/

We joked it was QDD, QA Driven Development.

--
Paulo