Observation on packages

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Aug 25 13:34:52 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 09:25:28PM +0200, Dicebot wrote:
> On Saturday, 24 August 2013 at 18:33:42 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> >Due to a blocking, but short-lived, problem with Debian Unstable, I
> >upgraded my Fedora dual boot to Fedora 19. I note that whilst GCC is
> >4.8.1, and Go is packaged, D is not packaged. We know GCC 4.8.1 has
> >GCD, it is packaged and released for Debian, it is not packaged and
> >released in Fedora 19 as far as I can tell.
>
> Ugh, since then GDC is part of official GCC package? As far as I
> remember it is still "work-in-progress". May be own initiative of
> Debian maintainer.

I don't think GDC is officially a part of GCC yet. The Debian package is
courtesy of a Debian developer who is working with Iain to bring GDC to
Debian.

If you want a Fedora package, you'd have to find somebody who knows how
to make an .rpm out of the GDC sources, and how to get it included in
the official repo.

For every argument for something, there is always an equal and opposite argument against it. Debates don't give answers, only wounded or inflated egos.