Observation on packages

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Aug 25 20:14:26 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 11:58:34PM +0200, Ramon wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 20:36:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >I don't think GDC is officially a part of GCC yet.
>
> From whereever it came and for whatever it's worth:
>
> (On mint 14)
>
> $ apt-cache search gdc | grep ^gdc
> gdc - D compiler (language version 2), based on the GCC backend
> gdc-4.4 - D compiler (version 1), based on the GCC backend
> gdc-4.6 - GNU D compiler (version 2), based on the GCC backend
> gdc-v1 - D compiler (language version 1), based on the GCC backend

I don't understand your point?  I already said gdc is in the Debian
archive. But it's not part of the upstream GCC code; it's built from a
separate source package that basically contains Iain's diffs to the gcc
sources. The build scripts download & unpack the upstream gcc sources
and patch it in order to build the gdc binaries.

Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares? -- Miquel van Smoorenburg