Parallel Rogue-like benchmark

Paul Jurczak pauljurczak at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 25 22:41:18 PDT 2013

On Monday, 26 August 2013 at 03:44:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 8/25/13 6:16 PM, Paul Jurczak wrote:
>> On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:16:17 UTC, Joseph Rushton
>> Wakeling wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought you'd like me bringing this up. ;-)
>>
>> You still have a chance, because I don't quite get it. With
>> the little I
>> know about Haskell, I find this code very elegant. What is
>> wrong with
>> it? Performance?
>
> I ranted about that a couple of times (including during my
> DConf talk). In brief:
>
> 1. quicksort is based on in-place partition, so at best that
> example is a different (and less adequate) algorithm inspired
> from quicksort.
>
> 2. choosing the first element as pivot yields quadratic
> performance on almost sorted sequence, which is a common
> practical case.
>
> That example is part of a toxic trifecta (also including the
> doubly-exponential fibonacci and the O(N) space factorial) that
> has done a lot of bad teaching.
>

> Andrei

@Andrei, @deadalnix, @Meta, @bearophile

I see, performance sucks and this function only kind of looks
like a quicksort. It makes sense putting this 'quicksort" and
recursive Fibonacci and factorial in the same bag of ivory tower
ideas, otherwise known as Haskell. But it looked so nice :-(