Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

Zach the Mystic reachzach at gggggmail.com
Mon Aug 26 00:32:52 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:26:19 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> But then, maybe D's beauty in part lies in the fact that it
> offers a lot regarding safety/reliabilty - and - very nice
> performance, too ;)

One of the theories as to why there are no bears to be found on
the African continent is that they are omnivores - i.e.
generalists - which in a hugely competitive environment such as
Africa, there is no niche in which they will not be beat out by a
more specifically adapted animal. My understanding of D is that
is like a bear, trying to be good at everything. (Maybe that's
why bearophile likes it so much!)

But the environment for programming is sufficiently competitive
that a language which is merely good at everything without being
the best at something could be beaten out of the race simply by
not having a niche. Therefore I see an emphasis on one thing to
be a strategic advantage even if one's ultimate goal is to build
something which is actually good at everything.

It certainly seems to turn a lot of heads when D rivals the
fastest languages in a performance comparison. Having caught
their attention, D can introduce its other advantages. The two
which seem most prominent to me are compile time (often 10% of
C++'s) and overall expressiveness, but it seems like almost
nothing has been completely ignored.

I'm more or less a fanboy, so I'm sort of on-board for better or
worse. Even so, I sometimes feel like this community is building
some kind of Cyberdyne Systems Terminator in their garage or
something.