Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Mon Aug 26 01:16:17 PDT 2013

On Monday, 26 August 2013 at 08:01:51 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Monday, 26 August 2013 at 07:32:53 UTC, Zach the Mystic
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:26:19 UTC, Ramon wrote:
>>> But then, maybe D's beauty in part lies in the fact that it
>>> offers a lot regarding safety/reliabilty - and - very nice
>>> performance, too ;)
>>
>> One of the theories as to why there are no bears to be found
>> on the African continent is that they are omnivores - i.e.
>> generalists - which in a hugely competitive environment such
>> as Africa, there is no niche in which they will not be beat
>> out by a more specifically adapted animal. My understanding of
>> D is that is like a bear, trying to be good at everything.
>> (Maybe that's why bearophile likes it so much!)
>>

> Human come from Africa. You'll a significant amount of monkey
> as well.

D *does* offer roughly the speed of C++ *and* does compile
significantly faster *and* offers reasonable strings and dyn
arrays *and* offers DbC *and* offers considerable levels of
safety.

I don't see where this "bear" gets beaten up by lions or other
kings of an environment.

Yes, it's not yet fully there and still has some quirks. But
then, D is not yet a fully grown up bear with decades of a
predatory experience. And I for one couldn't care less for 2%
less in speed - which I'll more than make up in development time,
anyway.