Koenig lookup in D?

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 06:51:47 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 27 August 2013 at 13:35:36 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> 27-Aug-2013 17:33, Dmitry Olshansky пишет:
>> 27-Aug-2013 11:45, monarch_dodra пишет:
>>> Koenig lookup in C++ ( also known as
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument-dependent_name_lookup
>>> ), is
>>> a mechanism that alows functions (in particular templates) to
>>> call a function that operates on an object of a specific
>>> namespace, without having to qualify the namespace  ...
>>
>> ADL has a "bug of surprise" written all over it.
>
> *Bag.. though hardly a typo )
>
>> It doesn't work all
>> that well in C++ to being with. Even after all these years:
>> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2103.pdf

Well, I don't expect we'd actually change the way things are done
*now*, and for all the "bugs" ADL had, it also allowed for some
very powerful and *extendable* generic programming.

D has a way of doing things that C++ can, but usually, with a
twist that makes it safer and/or more powerful, or with some very
well thought mechanics.

In this case, it really feels as if the whole a host of
functionality is just both supported, *and* with no workarounds :/

If we don't have ADL I kind of like the notion of "forced import
infection" though...