obsolete D libraries/modules

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Wed Aug 28 18:13:11 PDT 2013

Apologies if this is the wrong forum or even the wrong place but
it seems to me there is a kind of tight connection between dlang
and dsource.org (to which the following relates).

I can perfectly well understand that any group around a not yet
globally known language with a not yet richly endowed assortment
of libraries isn't eager to push the kill button on 3rd
party/user created modules.

And yes, it sure gives a new user a warm nice feeling to discover
lots of available modules (which after all translates to a quick
start and efficiency for many taskS).

Let me, however, also share my experience and feelings as a
(exited and pleased) newbie to D when one finds out that what
seems to be easily 2/3rd of seemingly available modules are
"dead, exitus, this bird is passed away, gone, dead, and only
sitting there because someone drove a nail through the poor
animal" or, at best optimistically pre-early-alpha (speaking with
a friendly grin).

Feels like a 16 ton weight coming down (if I may borrow again
from Python, here).

And there is another unpleasant side effect: It doesn't feel
profoundly attractive to write something and put it in between
all those dead parrots.

I'd like to suggest therefore that we begin to mildly weed out
dead or stuck-in-dream stage modules or at least discreetly mark
them as RIP.

In case someone is interested in what disappointed me most, it's
hto2 and bcd-gen, bot of which address an important need and both
of which don't look healthy and useful.
This is particularly troublesome as "make C libs work in D" type
tools are essential in any effort to bring D forward in the world
out there.

In case someone feels like hitting me: Hold it. This thread was
written with good intention and the honest worry that a lack of
libs and a lack of some support for bringing in C stuff might
turn out to be regrettable bumps in the road.

A+ -R