obsolete D libraries/modules

Peter Williams pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 28 23:34:03 PDT 2013

On 29/08/13 16:11, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> I will say this, one thing about D that has annoyed me from the
> beginning is the state of the gui libs. Hence why in last month I've
> been having a real good play around with OpengGL and creating my own
> library [1].

On this topic, I started looking at porting one of my PyGTK applications
to GtkD and found that the knowledge of PyGTK API wasn't a great deal of
help in this endeavor.  I think the problem is Python's "duck typing"
and dynamic typing allow for a very flexible API that is much simpler
than GTK+'s and GtkD's is much like GTK+'s.  The problem is complicated
by the fact that the amount of documentation is huge and it's often
difficult to find where something is defined.

Anyway, long story short, I've decided to investigate the feasibility of
rewriting the parts of GTK+ that I like directly in D.  It's early days
yet and the code is in a private repository on github.  I'll keep it
private until I have some useful subset working at which time I'll make
it public.  Of course, if I find that it's all too hard I'll just delete it.

Early indications are that the code will be much simpler than the
original as GTK+ implements its own OOP and GC where I'll just delegate
that to D. :-)

Peter