DQuick a GUI Library (prototype)

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 10:08:09 PDT 2013

On 8/22/13, goughy <andrew at goughy.org> wrote:
> Could I recommend you evaluate IUP first?
> (http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/)

I've had another look at this, and the documentation tells me there's
limitations and generally a requirement to handle platform-specific
behavior in many cases, which could get in the way.

For most widgets, after you create them, you can't change their
behavior except maybe their appearance (e.g. text and image). That's a
big limitation imo.

There's platform-dependent behavior that you need to be aware of, such as:

-----
When you change the active tab the focus is usually not changed. If
you want to control the focus behavior call IupSetFocus in the
TABCHANGE_CB callback. Unfortunately this does not works in GTK and in
Motif, because in both systems the focus will be set by the system
after the callback is called.
-----

There's a lot of these GTK/Windows specific notes, I'd hate to end up
writing a lot of code wrapped inside of version(GTK) statements.

There's basic features not supported such as:

-----
Notice that there is no attribute to disable a single tab. This is a
design decision of all native toolkits, not a IUP decision. It is so
because a disabled tab is a confusing interface situation.
-----

Tcl's Tk does it, as does Qt, and probably other libraries. Here's the
Tkinter version:
http://www.pyinmyeye.com/2012/08/tkinter-notebook-demo.html.

Anyway, as a simple GUI library it might even be worth wrapping. But I
think the DQuick devs and D programmers want something much more.