Replacing std.xml

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Thu Aug 29 11:36:32 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 29 August 2013 at 17:38:43 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:

> Well, as I said, I couldn't remember exactly what the XML
> standard said about
> encodings, but if it can contain non-ASCII characters, then my
> first
> inclination is to say that it has to be UTF-8, UTF-16, or
> UTF-32 based on the
> fact that that's what we support in the language and in Phobos
> (as I
> understand it, std.encodings is a bit of a joke that needs to
> be rethought and
> replaced, but regardless, it's the only Phobos module
> supporting any non-
> Unicode encodings).
>
> However, because all of the XML special symbols should be
> ASCII, you should
> still be able to avoid decoding characters for the most part.
> It's only when
> you have to actually look at the content that Unicode would
> potentially
> matter. So, the performance hit of decoding Unicode characters
> should mostly
> be able to be avoided.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

You just specify the encoding in the root element.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="us-ascii"?>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

UTF-8 is the default in lieu of a BOM saying otherwise.