obsolete D libraries/modules

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Thu Aug 29 12:03:28 PDT 2013

I'm still a newbie, which is not a pleasant but *can* be useful
because, after all, D does not intend to be or stay a rarter
closed insider group and a newbie might be better able to come up
with certain, possibly stupid, issues.

So kindly allow me to share some thoughts with you.

I hear a lot about performance and sure enough that's important.
Also very important, however, is the question of available
libraries and of binding C libs.

If there is (and possibly DStep is) an up-to-date (workig with
D2, phobos) a solution LET US ADVERTISE THAT and make it easy to
find, too!
This is not some luxury like D being 7% faster than, say, Pascal.
This is a go-or-break issue for many who have a first look at D.

I took dsource to be of relevance and learned it's not. One
reason for that was that I was, of course, looking for existing
modules/libraries and it seems there is not yet an "official"
list of repositories and modules. Let's change that.

While I personally have not much of a problem with a funny
assortment of cvs, svn, bzr, git and whatnot repositories spread
all over the internet, some might consider that unattractive
enough to stay away from D. Maybe we should create/have sth. like
"the official D modules repository" where modules are sorted
(gui, db, algo, etc. - and - D2, phobos, tango based, etc), where
activity or last update or similar is shown, where some maturity
indicator (like 1=concept ... 5=mature/production qual.) is shown.

Thanks for considering and discussing

A+ -R