Replacing std.xml

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Thu Aug 29 12:40:07 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 29 August 2013 at 08:15:39 UTC, Robert Schadek wrote:
> On 08/29/2013 09:51 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>> I most points here also apply to std.xml:
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Wish_list/std.json Those are not strict
>> requirements though, I just summarized what I remembered from
>> old
>> discussions.
> I think, this even extends to access to all semi- and
> structured-data.
> Think csv, sql nosql, you name it. Something which deserves a
> name like
> Uniform Access. I don't want to care if data is laid out
> differently. I
> want to define my struct or class mark the members to fill a
> pass it to
> somebodies code and don't want to care if its xml, sql or
> whatever.

That's a really great point.  All of these modules that can't
know the types and structure in advance should probably all use
the same techniques for handling the situation.  Perhaps a new
module to unify all this stuff is in order.

I seem to recall Adam D. Ruppe's "Is this D or is this
Javascript?" thread[1] having some nice tricks to deal with
dynamically typed data.

1.
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kuxfkakrgjaofkrdvgmx@forum.dlang.org