obsolete D libraries/modules

Jason den Dulk public2 at jasondendulk.com
Fri Aug 30 03:00:08 PDT 2013

On Friday, 30 August 2013 at 08:26:10 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> On Friday, 30 August 2013 at 06:48:55 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2013-08-29 21:36, Ramon wrote:
>>
>>> Being as was, hase come to be and is, some cleaning might be
>>> desirable.
>>> Frankly, the only reason I didn't just click away Dstep is
>>> because it's
>>> *so* bloody important. Otherwise seeing "tango" somewhere
>>> makes me click
>>> away.
>>> OTOH binding C libraries being so bloody vital for D I feel
>>> we should a)
>>> "port" Dstep to phobos and b) advertise prominently, happily
>>> and loudly.
>>
>> It's a shame that people here think of Tango like that. I'm
>> sincerely asking: "What's so bad about it?". Especially when
>> most people just see "Tango" and turns a way without knowing
>> that it is. It's just another third party library.

Technically, there's nothing 'bad' about Tango. Its popularity
was testimony to its sophistication. It was the way they went
about it, forcing people to choose between it an Phobos, that is
the problem. It split the community into two factions and damaged
D's reputation. Amongst D1 veterans, there is still a lingering
resentment that makes Tango more than just a third party library.

> It might be helpful if you (or some tango guy) would explain
> - why tango? What's better there than in phobos?

At the time, Tango had more stuff. What I liked about it was the
stream library. It was very rich and made working with
input/output very straightforward. Even today Phobos's I/O leaves
something to be desired.

Regards