DIP45: fixing the dllimport/dllexport issue

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 05:09:37 PDT 2013

On Friday, 30 August 2013 at 06:23:02 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 29.08.2013 21:09, Martin Nowak wrote:
>>
>> References from the data segment use absolute relocations.
>> References from PIC code use the GOT.
>
> So an indirection through the GOT is added to every access to a
> non-static global if you compile with -fPIC?

My understanding was references using the GOT have the same
number of indirections as in the PLT -- that is, a one-time cost
for the dynamic linker to dereference and replace an entry with
the absolute address -- and the major difference is PLT is done
lazily, while GOT is fixed up in its entirety at runtime.

Having said that, now I wonder if I'm misunderstanding the
question?

-Wyatt