obsolete D libraries/modules

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Fri Aug 30 11:19:03 PDT 2013

On Friday, 30 August 2013 at 11:42:00 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> - why tango? What's better there than in phobos?
>
> In my opinion:
>
> * Argument parsing
> * XML package
> * Net package (not any external dependencies)
> * Zip package
> * I think it has more collections
> * Logging
>
>> - what's the offering? (Is it a complete replacement for
>> phobos?)
>
> Yes, but you can use just what you want. As I said, I'm only
> using the argument parsing from Tango.

Thanks for the information and your thoughts. I'd like to ask one
more question on that, as I happened to work a little with
phobos' getopt and looked at your code and happened to notice
(your use of) tangos arg parsing/handling:
Why do you consider tangos arg parsing being better? Could you
kindly elaborate that somewhat? (Because I, possibly due to my
newbness, failed to see striking advantages in tangos arg parsing
when looking at Dstep).

On Friday, 30 August 2013 at 11:43:15 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Oh, and BTW, if you want to code on DStep you need to learn
> libclang even more than you need to learn Tango.

libclang is a very interesting matter, anyway, and indeed one of
the more reasonable ways to attack the C->D problem. On a
sidenote, I also keep a very interested eye on the D frontend for
llvm.

Please, be assured that I have no interest whatsoever to dig in
old wounds or to talk against tango which sure enough is a major
piece of work.

Thanks & A+ -R