obsolete D libraries/modules

Flamaros flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 16:38:38 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 31 August 2013 at 23:03:48 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
wrote:
> On 9/1/13, Flamaros <flamaros.xavier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am a Windows user, but I don't understand why others
>> platforms are forgotten.
>
> I think it's because win32 is the easiest to create a native
> library
> for, since the standard API functions for creating windows and
> widgets
> has been the same for many years. On OSX you probably have to
> interact
> with Objective-C code, which IIRC is hard to do from D without
> some
> extra language support (there's some pull request for it).
>
> And on Posix you basically don't have a standard API, so
> front-end
> libraries typically use GTK or Qt as the backend.

Yep, I know that for linux it's hard to use X11 or XCB direcly.
Today linux window manager (unity, KDE) seems want migrate form
gtk to QML that can interact efficiently with modern window
compositors (wayland, Mir).
Old GUI systems are to different on platforms that why we made
the choice of doing something like QML which is based on a 3D
renderer.
If I am not wrong that so much hard to wrap native GUI systems in
a portable way than QtWidgets is manually written to mimic native
GUI.