Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Sat Aug 31 20:40:44 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-01 02:05:39 +0000, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> said:

> I might re-iterate my feeling that external IDE integration projects should
> be claimed by the community officially

In my opinion the community is just too short on man-hours.

I did integrate D with Xcode at one point (no autocompletion though)
and created an all-in-one installer for the compiler and the Xcode
plugin. It just worked. I don't maintain it anymore and Xcode 4 broke
it. It's open source so anyone in the community could have taken it
further, but so far this hasn't happened.

I'm not using D anymore. I realized that with the time required to
maintain the toolset (including installer and Xcode plugin) plus the
time it'd take to make the language suitable to my needs (Objective-C
integration, perhaps ARM support for iOS), all that by itself would
probably be more than one full-time job. As all this meta-work would
seriously get in the way of my actual work, I let it go. I'm not
regretting that move.

So I'm no longer using D, but I'm still hanging around here from time
to time because there's always something interesting to read.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca