If you had money to place for a bounty, what would you choose?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Mon Dec 2 05:27:58 PST 2013

On 2013-12-02 07:54:11 +0000, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> said:

> On 2013-11-29 20:33, Michel Fortin wrote:
>
>> If I were Walter, I wouldn't accept it in the state it is currently in.
>> The missing support for the modern runtime makes it look like a gimmick,
>> as the legacy runtime is dead end (Apple is already dropping 32-bit
>> support with new OS X frameworks). And no ARC makes it look bad compared
>> to regular Objective-C. Lacking support for Objective-C categories and
>> for blocks is also problematic.
>
> The advantage of having it merged would be to avoid keeping the fork up
> to date. Although this might risk breaking it, don't know how complete
> the test suite is.

I think the test suite is solid enough to catch most regression for the
current features. But someone familiar with the matter needs to be
there and have the time to put some understanding in how fix things
when they break.

More importantly, someone needs to regularly compile on OS X and run
the Objective-C tests. That last part should be done by the auto-tester
of course, but since for many contributors it'll be inconvenient to
test locally those OS-X-only features I predict it'd slow things down a
little.

Also, there's some parts of the syntax I'd likely want to revise given
that D has UDAs now. Would it make sense to merge changes to the parser
just to roll them back later?

(I also had an idea of something better for class extensions
(categories), but those aren't implemented yet so it does not really
matter.)

I'm usually quite adverse about releasing unfinished features or
products, which probably explains why *I* wouldn't merge. Although I
obviously won't oppose it being merged if someone wants to. I'm just
not sure it is worth the trouble for the core team right now given the
lack of some key features.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca