No household is perfect

Shammah Chancellor anonymous at coward.com
Mon Dec 2 21:18:17 PST 2013

On 2013-12-03 03:01:12 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu said:

> On 12/2/13 6:49 PM, Shammah Chancellor wrote:
>> On 2013-12-03 00:36:28 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu said:
>>
>>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1rx8r2/go_binary_sizes_are_growing_out_of_control/
>>>

>>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1rvltx/scala_1_would_not_program_again/#new
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> I find this particularly interesting.   Where is the interest in Scala
>> being generated compared to D?
>>
>> https://www.ohloh.net/languages/compare?measure=commits&percent=true&l0=scala&l1=dmd&l2=haskell&l3=-1&l4=-1&commit=Update
>>

>> -Shammah
>
> The graph confirms what I believed - Scala is much more popular than D.
>
> Odersky's response and the subsequent thread are interesting, too:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/scala-debate/153H3Ya4Nxk
>

> Andrei

I don't understand it at all though.  I've been using D (off and on)
since around 0.47.   It's a fanastic language much better than Scala.
 Props to Walter, and you.    There are some rough edges, but I argue
about them on this forum, and for the most part many of the things that
I dislike, or want, have been added or changed in an acceptable way
over the last 10 years.       I want to see this language succeed.  I
tell everyone I know about it.

I burned out on D for awhile ago, but I've always poked my head in here
a couple times a year, and am now using it for a fairly large project.
 The reason I kept having to abandon it in the past was due to blocking
compiler bugs with templates & CTFE, but with the new bugzilla I find
that the bugs I submit are generally noted and fixed in a reasonable
amount of time now.   I like that the community is more open now.
There are some beasts who fix bugs really quickly in the frontend.

rant/
With that said, I am finding though that a lot of the documentation on
the website is not maintained well by the community.   There are a lot
of references to deprecated features, or things that don't work.   E.G.
 scope'd calls allocation

scope Foo bar = new Foo;  is all over the documentation.  I've come to
find out this is deprecated?

Or this message from 2012:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/20120411014440.GA12737@quickfur.ath.cx

The hash-map doc still makes reference to opHash
(http://dlang.org/hash-map.html).  Which bit me when I copied and
pasted.
/rant

I will try to do my part on updating these things.

-Shammah