Build Master: Scheduling II

Andrew Edwards ridimz at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 06:25:59 PST 2013

 From the preceding discussion, it is clear that the community desires
both a swift release cycle and more stability. No one solution will
appease the entire community. Therefore, I will take the middle ground.
The way forward will be as follows:

	Official releases will occur on an 8 week basis. The third such release
will be LTS. All LTS releases will be supported with back-ports of
regressions and non-breaking changes (bug fixes only) until the next LTS
release. Meaning that only LTS releases will be support by point
releases. No new feature features will be introduced in a point release.

	Betas will be released four weeks after an official release. The intent
is to afford a thorough review of all features introduced since the last
official release and allot ample time to remedy any resulting regressions.

	Release candidates will follow naturally from Betas two weeks prior to
an official release. Once a release candidate is published, no new
features will be added.

The same schedule will apply to all components of the language (DMD,
DRUNTIME, and PHOBOS) and any tools that are included in the release
packages.

Tools currently included in the packages are as follows:

	Linux:
		DDEMANGLE
		DMAN
		DUMPOBJ
		OBJ2ASM
		RMDM

	OSX:
		DDEMANGLE
		DMAN
		DUMPOBJ
		OBJ2ASM
		RMDM
		SHELL

	Windows:
		DDEMANGLE.EXE
		DMAN.EXE
		DUMPOBJ.EXE
		LIB.EXE
		LINK.EXE
		MAKE.EXE
		RDMD.EXE
		REPLACE.EXE
		SHELL.EXE
		WINDBG.EXE (AND OTHER REQUIRED FILES)

This list, at the very least, should include DustMite but there are some
other tools included in the tools repo on github that might belong here.
(This will be considered for inclusion in future releases and will have
no effect on release 2.065)

As I am not skilled at GitHub, I will be following the
instructions/guidelines exactly as outlined here:

	http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_and_Release_Process.

I am working on a MacMini running OS X v10.9. I have Ubuntu 13.10 Server
loaded in VirtualBox and will be using Jordi Sayol's script to build
packages for linux/Windows and Jacob Carlborg script for OSX.

Both of these scripts require an preexisting release zip and as of this
moment, I am unaware of the steps to create that file. I will need some
instructions on how to access and run the auto tester if that's what
generates the zip or, if it's already automatically created,
instructions on how to retrieve and stage it for the build.

I will be setting up a tag on github today for the first beta release of
2.065 (2.065-b1).

Request your corporation/support in ensuring a smooth process.

Andrew