D vs Go in real life

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Dec 3 07:07:30 PST 2013

On 29/11/13 14:53, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Why did you install dmd from source and not the same way as Go? It's a bit
> unfair comparison. Dub is a package manager for D, with many libraries available.

There is absolutely no point trying to complain about "unfair comparison" here.
  The real question you have to ask is why there wasn't an obvious equivalent to
Go's "install the default build for my platform".

You can say, "Hey, D does have that equivalent, the .zip installer, or the .deb
or .rpm files ...!" but that's not the point.  The point is why OP considered
that the natural way to do things was to install from source.

The obvious solution to this is that the homepage should have a Big Friendly
Button shouting "Get started with D!" that should take you to a page which
auto-detects your system and makes available an appropriate installer.