No household is perfect

Tobias Pankrath tobias at pankrath.net
Tue Dec 3 10:39:52 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 3 December 2013 at 12:41:40 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 13:29 +0100, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
> […]
>> Does scala have arbitrary operators like Haskell? Looks
>> useless in D. If you have an operator '+' that should not be
>> pronounced 'plus' you are doing it wrong.
>
> Yes.
>
> 	a + b
>
> could be set union, logic and, string concatenation. The + is
> just a
> message to the LHS object, it determines what to do. This is
> the whole
> basis for DSLs.

I really have no problem with operator overloading, but set union
(∪), logic and (∧) and string concatenation (∘) do have well
defined and commonly used symbols.

I would not argue against adding these to the language via a
general mechanism and indeed then it might be useful to have a
name for a user defined wtf-operator ?!?!. But if you overload an
operator (+) it should be some kind of addition.