Build Master: Scheduling II

Andrew Edwards ridimz at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 17:30:19 PST 2013

On 12/3/13, 2:08 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 December 2013 at 14:26:07 UTC, Andrew Edwards wrote:
>> [snip]
>> I am working on a MacMini running OS X v10.9. I have Ubuntu 13.10
>> Server loaded in VirtualBox and will be using Jordi Sayol's script to
>> build packages for linux/Windows and Jacob Carlborg script for OSX.
>
> Please use windows/dinstaller.nsi for creating the installer on
> Windows.  linux/win/installer.nsi has some missing features and an issue
> with deleting the entire directory tree as part of a uninstallation
> pre-step that has caused problems for some people. I'm going to try to
> merge these two files to pick up some of the useful features Jordi has
> added but for the time being dinstaller.nsi is the proper one to use.

Ok, got you. One question, does dinstaller.nsi work on linux/osx? If not
I will need your assistance to prepare the package until such time as I
can obtain an image for VirtualBox.

>> Both of these scripts require an preexisting release zip and as of
>> this moment
>
> dinstaller.nsi defaults to a web-installer (it downloads dmd2.zip and
> others itself). As such, it doesn't require the dmd zip to be present in
> order to create the installer executable. It can optionally embed the
> zip in the installer but that hasn't been how it's been used historically.

Which is basically a staged zip file and the same problem as stated. If
the zip file doesn't exist locally or on the web site, then these tools
do not work.

> If you open up dinstaller.nsi it should be fairly obvious how it all
> works with regard to updating it for a new release. Just change the
> version number at the top of the file and ensure the url to the dmd zip
> a bit further down is correct.

Understood.

> Have you arranged with Walter or Brad Roberts to get access to upload to
> the download server? I think the build master having the ability to do
> uploads is vital.

I have not. Did for the GitHub repository but forgot about that. Thanks
for the reminder.

>> , I am unaware of the steps to create that file.
>
> I believe Nick's release tool can generate the release zip properly.
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/pull/24 I really
> recommend looking at it. He spent a lot of time perfecting it.

Will try it but I thought it was platform specific. Meaning, I thought
it created a OSX specific archive if ran on OSX and so on.

>> I will need some instructions on how to access and run the auto tester
>> if that's what generates the zip or, if it's already automatically
>> created, instructions on how to retrieve and stage it for the build.
>
> Historically, Walter has created the release zips (just using the
> makefile, I believe). As far as I know, work hasn't begun on getting the
> autotester to roll releases.

That will be great when it's completed.

>> I will be setting up a tag on github today for the first beta release
>> of 2.065 (2.065-b1).
>>
>> Request your corporation/support in ensuring a smooth process.
>>

> Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions or problems with the
> Windows installer script.

Thanks.