Build Master: Scheduling II

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 18:26:35 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 4 December 2013 at 02:15:23 UTC, Andrew Edwards
wrote:
>>>    http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_and_Release_Process.
>>
>> This does not reflect how we handle things currently.
>> It would be good to start from the current process (version
>> branch +
>> cherry-picking from master) and incrementally improve it
>> towards what we
>> want to achieve. The wiki depicts an idealistic process that
>> requires a
>> lot of awareness by every dev and doesn't map good onto the
>> GitHub
>> workflow.
>
> Understood. I would however, suggest that it is a habit that we
> should get into. One of the first things that we should have
> devs review when they want to know how to contribute is to lead
> them to this page. As I matter of fact, I think it might even
> be a good idea to include it in the CONTRIBUTING.md file on
> GitHub or, at the very least, insert a link to it.

It's not the new contributors which is the problem. It is the
existing contributors. Every dev has to be retrained on how to
handling patching multiple branches (in fact, it is less
important contributors know, much more that the people merging
know).

It is fine to move in this direction, but since you aren't well
versed in git workflow it may be too much to take on for the
first release.

Also, at some point Walter said in a random forum post that he
wanted this next release to be bug fixes only and rather quick...
You're plan and Walter's don't seem to match exactly.