Build Master: Scheduling II

Andrew Edwards ridimz at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 18:48:35 PST 2013

On 12/3/13, 9:26 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:

>>> This does not reflect how we handle things currently.
>>> It would be good to start from the current process (version branch +
>>> cherry-picking from master) and incrementally improve it towards what we
>>> want to achieve. The wiki depicts an idealistic process that requires a
>>> lot of awareness by every dev and doesn't map good onto the GitHub
>>> workflow.
>>
>> Understood. I would however, suggest that it is a habit that we should
>> get into. One of the first things that we should have devs review when
>> they want to know how to contribute is to lead them to this page. As I
>> matter of fact, I think it might even be a good idea to include it in
>> the CONTRIBUTING.md file on GitHub or, at the very least, insert a
>> link to it.
>
> It's not the new contributors which is the problem. It is the existing
> contributors. Every dev has to be retrained on how to handling patching
> multiple branches (in fact, it is less important contributors know, much
> more that the people merging know).

Point taken. It is hard to break old habits and from new ones but
sometimes it is absolutely necessary. IMHO this is one of those times.

> It is fine to move in this direction, but since you aren't well versed
> in git workflow it may be too much to take on for the first release.

The ball is rolling and everything worked as documented with one minor
exception (where it says git:// replace with https://). I have created
the branch/tag and am waiting for a message to be released to the
dmd-beta mailing list. Once devs are alerted and the binaries are
prepared, a more formal message will be placed in the announce group.

> Also, at some point Walter said in a random forum post that he wanted
> this next release to be bug fixes only and rather quick... You're plan
> and Walter's don't seem to match exactly.

Unfortunately I did not see that post. And while our thoughts/plans may
be different, Walter does have the option to speed up or slow down the
process should it be warranted. As such, I will proceed according to my
plan until informed otherwise.