D vs Go in real life

eles eles at eles.com
Wed Dec 4 02:30:24 PST 2013

On Monday, 2 December 2013 at 21:33:19 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 November 2013 at 21:19:15 UTC, Chris Cain wrote:
>> On Friday, 29 November 2013 at 16:15:10 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>> I agree that D, too, can be a bit confusing. I sometimes have
>>> problems with AA declarations.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> string[string][string] hm; // What am I?
>
>     string[string][string] hm;
>
> The result is a string, obtained through associative array with
> key string, obtained through associative array with key string
> which is located at hm.
>
>> How about something *ridiculous* in right-to-left reading:
>>
>> rofl *[string][]*bool;
>
>     bool*[][string]* rofl;
>
> The result is bool, through a pointer, stored in an array,
> obtained through associative array with key of string, stored
> in array, and all pointeded to from a location rofl.

For the record, this is the idea behind the Go's declaration
syntax:

http://blog.golang.org/gos-declaration-syntax

I liked their idea about declaring left-to-right, but using
right-to-left (that is the distinction between type syntax and
expression syntax). Shame that they didn't make the right choice
for the pointer syntax.