D vs Go in real life

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Dec 4 19:54:11 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 02:08:34PM +1100, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Shammah Chancellor" <anonymous at coward.com> wrote in message
> news:l7n6fh$16s0$1 at digitalmars.com...
[...]
> > With the version, is there any chance of LLVM being the default
> > backend --  or is Walter opposed to that?
> >

> As Walter said, there is no chance of that happening.  However, we are
> slowly working to integrate or refactor away all gdc/ldc patches
> against the frontend.  This should greatly reduce the effort to merge
> patches, hopefully resulting in all three compilers permanently being
> in sync.

I'm looking forward to that. Recently I've been working on a
compute-intensive program, and I've been hoping to test it with gdc to
get maximal performance, but since I developed the code mainly with dmd
git HEAD, it doesn't compile with gdc, which is rather frustrating. It
would be great if the three compilers are always in sync -- if gdc
could, for example, just pull straight from DFE git HEAD and Just
Work(tm).

"The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90
degrees and try again."