No household is perfect

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 00:06:33 PST 2013

On Thursday, 5 December 2013 at 06:04:20 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Thu, 05 Dec 2013 06:16:14 +0100
> schrieb "Kapps" <opantm2+spam at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Wednesday, 4 December 2013 at 17:21:24 UTC, Luís Marques
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > That seems unlikely. Also, it's not that different from
>> > std.windows, std.linux, etc.
>>
>>  From http://www.unicode.org/policies/logo_policy.html :
>>
>> You may use the Unicode Word Mark to refer to the Unicode®
>> Standard, to other Unicode® specifications, tools and code,
>> and to Unicode® seminars, tutorials, meetings, and events, so
>> long as any such references (a) are truthful, fair, and not
>> misleading, and (b) follow these Guidelines.
>>
>>      Always use “Unicode” as an adjective followed by an
>> appropriate noun. Do not use “Unicode” alone as a noun. Do not
>> pluralize it or make it possessive, and do not alter its
>> spelling.
>>      Use the ® symbol to indicate that the Unicode Mark is a
>> registered trademark. The symbol should be used in all
>> prominent references to the Unicode Mark, such as headlines,
>> chapter titles, packaging, advertising, etc. The symbol should
>> also be used in the first reference to the Unicode Mark in
>> body copy, but may thereafter be omitted in body copy.
>>      Use the appropriate Trademark Legend (see below) in the
>> footnotes or footers of any material making reference to the
>> Unicode Mark.
>>
>> Incorrect: Unicode
>> Correct: The Unicode® Standard
>>

>> I was rather surprised by this.
>
> No word about naming a module or a keyword 'unicode'. I would
> be surprised if someone asked if D could have a module named
> std.unicode and they said "no". Our use would be "truthful,
> fair and not misleading" and isn't a "prominent reference".
> But the current module name is ok for me, too.

Having read all that though, one could argue that having "uni" is
*even worst* than "unicode", as it violates both:
a) Use the ® symbol to indicate that the Unicode Mark
b) Do not alter its spelling

I don't care much about uni vs unicode, but I think siding with
"uni" for copyright reasons is a fallacious argument.

Besides, I don't see where the problem with naming the
file/module "std/unicode.d"/"std.unidoe" is, as long as the first
paragraph reads: "This is the Unicode® module".