D-Link with R/MATLAB/Julia/SQL

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 04:03:42 PST 2013

On Thursday, 5 December 2013 at 11:13:17 UTC, Siavash Babaei
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I primarily work in statistical modelling of financial data
> (risk modelling). I am at a point when I need to think about
> developing applications in addition to data analysis and
> modelling.
> My primary concern is whether or not I can run/call-on
> programmes that I have written in R/MATLAB/Julia. Accessing a
> database is also a concern.
> Now, I know C++/Visual Studio can handle this but I would like
> something more reliable and exciting (!better!) and I would
> like to know if I am in the right place.
>
> Thank You

D has the ability to use c and (a lot of c++) libraries.
Currently building D as a shared library isn't the best however
it seems MATLAB's code can be compiled into a shared library [1].
For both you will need to write a binding for it. DerelictUtil is
a library that can help binding, getting function pointers to
shared libraries [2].

Databases we have not too much in the way of that. Vibe-d has
good wrappers around Mongo and Redis [3]. I have made bindings to
OpenDBX [4] which support multiple backends [5]. However that is
just the c api so nothing nice about it.
There is also other libraries which I haven't mentioned. Because
I haven't tried them. You can see a list of projects currently
being maintained using dub (build manager) [6].

If you need any help with this, let us know!

[1] http://www.mathworks.com.au/support/compilers/interface.html
[2] https://github.com/DerelictOrg/DerelictUtil
[3] https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d
[4] https://github.com/rikkimax/Derelict_Extras---OpenDBX