D Programmer Jobs at Sociomantic Labs

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Dec 5 07:11:07 PST 2013

On 12/5/13 3:32 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 12/5/13, Don <x at nospam.com> wrote:
>> We have a lot of experience with relocation. It's completely
>> normal for us.
>
> That's great to hear. My main concern is having a place to stay. I'm
> not financially capable right now, unfortunately.

I was in the same situation back in the 1990s. I recall to this day the
advice from a genius older programmer: "You can do good work. All you
need now is a source of money." Back then I wasn't entirely clear what
he meant because I didn't realize what money people are willing to pay
for the right skills.

The right approach is indeed to get a source of money. That works quite
simply: (a) ace the interview; (b) tell what they need to do for them to
secure your skills. You quite literally have something to sell that has
a good value, and they need to assess that. Worrying about a place to
live at your new location breaks sequence. I had only $300 in my pocket
when I landed in New York in 1998, but also a paying job.

Andrei