D vs Go in real life, part 2. Also, Erlang.

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Dec 5 11:58:17 PST 2013

On 12/5/2013 7:27 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> It doesn't need to extract every ms out of the hardware as C and
> C++ developers always try to do, but to be fast enough to be able
> to fulfill the task.

Although C and C++ are capable of extracting every ms out of the hardware as far
as any compiled language goes, the number of programmers who are actually able
to get those results are small. Just because someone writes a program in C or
C++ doesn't at all mean that they're getting the most out of the machine.

Reminds me of when I worked in a metal shop at Caltech fabricating parts. I'd
produce crummy, ugly things. The resident machinist, with the same milling
machine, would tweak it here and there and produce things of beauty. (That old
bridgeport milling machine had more knobs, levers, and wheels than a steam
locomotive cockpit, and none of them were labelled.)