D vs Go in real life

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Dec 5 18:02:27 PST 2013

On 12/5/2013 12:11 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-12-04 23:14, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> For one example, a year ago I had to make dmd work on Win64. LLVM didn't
>> support Win64. I would have been stymied.
>
> The answer to that would be: contribute that implementation to LLVM. But I know
> you're opposed to that as well.
>
> If they don't accept the contributions, use a fork.

Easy to say, but doing Win64 was a major effort:

1. bizarre function calling conventions

2. undocumented symbolic debug info format

3. new object file format

Making such changes on a backend without thoroughly understanding how the
backend works would be quite a challenge. I seriously doubt anyone could have
done that on the tight schedule I was under.

Besides, forking LLVM subverts most of the advantages of using it.